From: Wgalison <email@example.com>
Sent: Thu, Jul 7, 2011 12:54 am
Subject: Re: Black Star News Article: Sunny Sheu
Any chance you could cover this? NYPD Internal Affairs calls me at 2:15 AM because I had reported an attack by a guy who represented himself as a cop.
On the recording the Internal Affair detective mocks me, stops listening and makes remarks like "he shoulda choked everything out of your throat!", thinking I can't hear him.
When I complained about this incident, I got no response from the NYPD.
I would think this would be right up your alley. Great story.
Below and attached is my letter to Ray Kelly describing the incident. The audio can be heard here:
Please let me know what you think?
BLACK STAR NEWS
32 Broadway Suite 511
New York, N.Y., 10004
Reporter, Black Star News
Raymond Kelly, Commissioner
New York Police Department
One Police Plaza
New York, N.Y., 10007
July 6th 2011
On the morning of June 30, 2011, at 2:15 AM my sleep was interrupted by a call from Detective Hinton of NYPD internal affairs. After a few minutes of conversation, Det. Hinton said he had to take another call, and would call me right back. I waited by the phone for nearly an hour, until after 3:00 AM, but he never called back.
Around 3:00 AM, I called him back and recorded the conversation, as is my right under New York State law. The recording shows that despite the inappropriate hour of the call, I was polite and accommodating in my tone. The recording of the conversation between me and Det Hinton can be heard at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_EsGRRQ-AU
However, as is equally clear, my courtesy was met with disrespect, contempt and what could be considered threatening speech by Det. Hinton.
Among the most disturbing aspects of Hinton’s conduct are the following:
- Hinton implied that the attack against me was MY fault, because I should not have photographed an illegally parked van on my street.
- Hinton lied that an email of my sworn statement was not received, even though he received the photos of the van at the same address, and my email said the statement had gone through.
- Hinton REFUSED to take my sworn statement verbally, until I insisted several times.
- When I did read my statement, Hinton could be heard making mocking comments in the background, followed by the laughter of his associates.
- Hinton said that he would take the Sergeant's interpretation of the facts in my report over the facts reported in my own sworn statement!
- Thinking I could not hear him Hinton said of my assailant: "He should have choked everything out of your throat"
- Thinking I could not hear him Hinton said "I wish he added murder" when I described the crimes of my attacker, and when I responded, his colleague shouted “Oh shit, he heard you!!”
- When I tell Hinton that he must hear me out because I "pay his salary" (through taxes) He screams: "No You do NOT" Are NYPD cops not told that they are paid by the public to protect the public?
- Hinton also lies about his outbursts and threatens that my complaint will be “my word against yours”, with the smug assurance that there will be no consequence for his abusive statements. This reflects on the culture of contempt within your organization.
As an Internal Affairs public liason officer, Detective Hinton must have been selected from the most disciplined and best trained members of your force. If Detective Hinton represents the finest of New York’s Finest, Mr. Kelly, how does that reflect upon your achievements as Police Commissioner?
Obviously, I cannot complain about Internal Affairs to Internal Affairs.
As far as I know there is no agency in your department to which I can file a complaint.
I have been told that Internal Affairs knows about the misconduct of Detective Hinton, but no one has contacted me to investigate.
Therefore, I am requesting a meeting with you or your immediate subordinate to resolve this matter, and to hold Detective Hinton to account for his disgraceful behavior.
Your failure to respond promptly to this letter will be interpreted by me and my fellow New Yorkers as your tacit endorsement of Hinton’s contempt for the taxpayers of this city.
Reporter for the Black Star News